Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas on a Budget

This Christmas the budget is stretched pretty tight this year. I've done this before, but it's been awhile. So this year I'm going to be making many of our gifts. I've got tons of fabric, ribbon and beads around here, so I'm going to make some Christmas ornaments and wreaths. For both, I will take strips of fabric and tie around a wire frame. The ornaments will probably be mini-wreaths, and possibly some snowflakes and candycanes. 

Cookies and candies are always a great gift for Christmas, and the ingredients are cheap. Plus I love to cook, yay! I'll be picking up some cheapie tins at the dollar store today, along with chocolate and nuts. My favorite Chirstmas candy recipe is just a bag of dark chocolate chips and about an equal amount of nuts. Melt the chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between. Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper and voila! Great candy. Hazelnut is my favorite, but they're sometimes hard to find around here. Any nut will do for this recipe, though.

Otherwise, Christmas will be sale items and last minute impulse buys. I'll probably throw together a quilt or two, if time allows. Rag quilts are perfect for last minute gifts, as they are so quick to put together. Like I said, I have TONS of fabric left here! I think I have enough denim fabric left to make a nice lap throw. Hmm, who's going to be the lucky recipient this Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment