Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner, Pie Ideas

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and thankfully I get to put off making the big dinner for a little while longer, to accommodate out of town guest schedules. I do, however, need to bring along something to Granny's on Thanksgiving. They always cover the traditional stuff, so I'm going to try something new for dessert.

I've had something similar, and have no idea what it's actually called. But basically it's a pumpkin pie, mixed with Cool Whip, which creates a wonderfully fluffy pie. Yummy!Since I don't even know what it's actually called, I couldn't search for a recipe. But I stumbled on a Jello no bake pumpkin pie kit and it gave me the idea to give it a shot.

I got an extra pie crust (graham) and a regular sized container of Cool Whip. So I'll make the pumpkin mix as directed, and then mix in the entire container of whipped cream. I suspect it should fill both pie crusts, if not I'll be in a little pinch! I regularly have heavy whipping cream on hand for coffee or other recipes, so if I must I'll just whip up some homemade whipped cream and top it with that. 

I'll be making the pies tomorrow, and will have the extra so my son will be the guinea pig to see if this Pumpkin pie recipe will be a good fit for Thanksgiving dinner. I was seriously considering a Pumpkin Cheesecake, by using the same mix and a no-bake cheesecake, putting a layer of each in each pie. I still might do that for Christmas, or for the big Thanksgiving dinner we do when Sadie's in town. 

Either way, I got all the ingredients on sale or already had on hand, so I will probably have less than $3 in each pie. Plus, the fluffy pumpkin pie I'd had before was divine, I'm hoping I can make this the way I'm picturing it turning out!

No comments:

Post a Comment